Founded 2011: five southern African medical schools; Expanded 2015 & 2020: include sub-Sahara African medical schools.
CONSAMS - the“Consortium of New Sub-Sahara African Medical Schools” - was founded in 2011 under the original name of the "Consortium of New Southern African Medical Schools." At an ensuing Annual General Meeting, it was decided to expand the organization to include members across the African continent and beyond southern Africa - hence the name change from "Southern African" to Sub-Sahara African.
Today CONSAMS is rapidly expanding across Africa to include new medical schools that are within about 10-15 years of graduating their first class of medical students.
The Founding members of CONSAMS in 2011:
• University of Namibia School of Medicine (UNAMSoM);
• Faculty Health Sciences-Lúrio University (UNILURIO);
• Copperbelt University School of Medicine (CBUSoM);
• University of Botswana School of Medicine (UBSoM);
- Lesotho Medical School/Faculty of Health Sciences (NUL);
• Medical School of Lesotho (MSL); University of Turku, Finland;
• Vanderbilt University School of Medicine/ Vanderbilt University Medical Center Nashville, Tennessee, USA.